14 Dec Mindful Monday
Today is mindful Monday, it is also the Monday where Dufferin shifts into Red zone. If you are like me, you are most likely sick and tired of hearing about COVID-19 and the on-going restrictions. You may feel frustrated, sad, and overwhelmed. Today on CBC, the guest speaker spoke about the underlying mental health pandemic. This mental health pandemic is not being acknowledged- or the consequences. There is a clear link between suicide and economic recession. There is also emerging research that since the onset of COVID-19, Canadians are experiencing more anxiety and a higher number of people reporting suicidal thoughts/ behaviours. This is incredibly difficult to talk about and think about. Know that you are not alone, and you can reach out for help (suicide prevention service 833-456-4566 or sms 741741)
We can get through this together. Let’s take a deep breath in, breathing on purpose can help ground us in the moment.
- I want you to acknowledge any emotions that you are experiencing, when we acknowledge our feelings, we can give ourself compassion, love, and forgiveness. Know that these feelings are happening in the moment, and can change and shift.
- Reach out to a friend/family (through zoom, letters, phone, maybe a porch drop off of homemade cookies!) we need to continue to strengthen our relationships during this time, by reaching out, you are gaining support, and also letting that person know they are important to you.
- Understand your responsibilities, as a friend, family member, co-worker, leader, and community member.
- Think of a phrase/word/ saying that give you comfort. Write it down, carry it around with you, and say it to yourself often. My phrase for you “Life’s like working out: there’s no pain in the comfort zone. But is that really where you want to live?”- Robin Sharma
- Maintain structure; it is so tempting these days not to have any sort of structure. However, our body and mind will thank-you, if you keep on track. Keep eating your fruits and vegetables to feel good, keep going outside to get fresh air and exercise, keep your bedtime routines.
Remember, your Towne Fitness Team is here to support YOU, in anyway we can.